Thursday, December 10, 2009

The first draft of any thing is shit. -Ernest Hemingway

As this is my first official blog post, I figured that I would start talking about things that happen right smack in the middle of the writing process. Namely, the Hell that is editing. I just finished NaNoWriMo (which you should all check out! Seriously! Google it!), and yes, I got my fifty thousand words, as well as about two thousand, six hundred extra. And now, I'm attempting to sort through all the mistakes and form it into a somewhat decent second draft.
It took me three days to sort through all the spelling mistakes.
So, the tip of the day is this: Never, ever assume that your first draft is going to be a literary masterpiece. Unless you're some kind of super computer, at least a third of it will need to be edited.
Also, I apologize if this was random and/or made no sense at all. I'm tired, I had basketball tryouts today and I stayed up late last night.
P.S. Are there any Gleeks out there who saw the season finale last night? Any comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment